
I couldn't write much in the past month. The fact that my laptop arrived only yesterday is one important reason, but mostly it is because life at IIM is simply to fast paced.
The haziness about management as a career has only increased in the past month. The ambiguity and uncertainty involved in management sometimes feels too much for me to like. But then I convince myself that uncertainty is the truth. How many of the things plan we plan actually work along the lines we thought they would? How many things can we control? From choosing a job, a life partner or a simple birthday present, we are trying to make the decisions with the limited information we have. The data in its entirety would simply be too much to handle. So we just model the world in a simplistic model inside our minds. Add to that the limitations of human perceptions and voila, it appears most of the decisions we have taken are close to random.
I like to imagine a world of that sort. If we took decisions at random. If we really wore the first cloth that came out of the closet. Chose the 3th girl friend to be a life partner. Had the number of kids same as the first digit of our roll number. I have a feeling such a world would not end up being very different from us. Just the illusion of control would be gone.
I respect people who take decisions based on long career goals and end up getting where they wanted, despite the uncertainty. But, I've a feeling that the decisions taken are still as blurred and random as any decision each of us take. Just that the conviction that they have about those decisions are more. The fact that we trust our decisions, persevere and persist seem to be the reasons for achieving the objective not the choice of objectives. Another way of saying this is, had these people been told to do something instead of giving choice, I feel they'd have ended up done that something as well.
Sadly, I am not one of those people and I also like to believe that my decisions do matter. This brings me back to the decision - Was MBA the right career choice for me? Whether I am the yellow helmet or the black suit in the picture above? The answers still remain - let us wait and watch
No comments:
Post a Comment