Sunday, September 9, 2007

How digital cameras help you forget the moment for the rest of your life.

I like the concept of pensieve, the way Rowling describes in her books. The idea that the memories of a person can be poured into a pot to be experienced by someone else is probably the closest one can get to preserving a moment. But no digital camera in the market, regardless of its mega pixel count, comes even remotely close to doing that. A moment is so much more than a still 2 D image. A moment is what you live. But the basic human instinct to make everything pretty his own, gets in the way. It is saddening to see that people go to hill stations, and cities and beaches with people they love, and see the world not thought their eyes but a 2.2 inches LCD screen. And pretty sunsets are stored not in our minds but our transflash memory sticks. 
I wish we could let go of the fear of losing the moment forever. I wish we live the moment and not stack away memories to relive some other day. I wish we would stop planning to live and start living.

No comments:

Post a Comment