They aren't hard to spot and in my current work-place there are many of them. I had a chance encounter with one of them yesterday, when he was asked to give us a presentation on the system architecture. Before the presentation I was told that he was a veteran of this product and knows things inside out.
He entered in the familiar geek attire. A formal shirt left hanging out over a pair of lose black trousers and a pair of slippers. He was confident during the presentation, though it was obvious he wasn't excited about it. The presentation was by all means okay, but it was when we started asking questions that things went haywire. He stuttered and stammered and left long pauses between his words. The answers were complicated and some how didn't appear to answer the questions that were put up. To say that the question and answer session wasn't fruitful, would be putting it mildly.
He sat with me again today, and I asked him almost the same questions as yesterday. But this time the answers came and I found it hard to hang on to his words. Every answer had so many questions to it and he had answers to them all. It was then I realised the stammering had nothing to do with not knowing answers. It was because he knew so much about everything, he couldn't decide how much to let us know. It is astounding to think that knowledge can be so overwhelming that it becomes a handicap.
My apologies to all technical geeks for our indifferent attitudes. I am fortunate to rub shoulders with each one of you and I know I am not even half as technologically gifted as you are. I share your workplace, I get paid the same salaries and even end up getting noticed by managers, just because I know the right things to say. Eventually I get noticed for being street-smart, the managers get promoted for the work you accomplished, our team becomes successful because you designed a flawless architecture, and the company is happy because it makes money. The truth is me, the manager, the team or the company are nothing without you. You are the reason we exist and have the opportunity of disillusioning ourselves into believing we are instrumental for success. My heartfelt apologies for our callousness and thanks for sticking up with us.
No comments:
Post a Comment