Friday, July 6, 2007

So who decides what you deserve?


POLAND—Teresa, a child in a residence for disturbed children, grew up in a concentration camp. She has drawn a picture of “home” on the blackboard, 1948. © David Seymour

I feel the fear of tomorrow in people around me. I feel the need to perform within them. It was perfectly fine if they were doing things for themselves. But instead, typical reason given for it is that you get only one life and you don't want to end up getting less than what you deserve.
My question is, who decides what you deserve? What makes one ask for more and feel he deserves more? You may feel that life is not fair, that God is against you, that your fate is screwed up and this is is not what you were entitled to. But what exactly are you entitled to? Where in the offer document of life is there a promise it would be fair? Can you justify the things you were born with, and the things you now take for granted, never questioning, just assuming their perennial presence? If not, then how can life be called unjust?
I think it is unfair to call life unfair till you take into account all the things you were born with. I guess its a human limitation that it is unresponsive to the absolute quantity and can only recognize change. Just as the human mind doesn't recognize speed but feels acceleration, doesn't feel heat but can tell when it flows in or out. The human mind can recognize only deltas. And, I guess, this limitation makes us utter crazy things that "life has not been fair". Look around, be thankful for the senses, for the mind, for the beauty. In this great plan of the cosmos don't ask for fairness, don't question what you deserve, just enjoy the ride. Have a great time !

2 comments: